Guava Leaves contain vitamins, minerals, fibers, and multiple antioxidants which are essential for rabbits’ health. And many of us want to know do rabbits eat guava leaves and are guava leaves safe for rabbits.
Yes, guava leaves are totally safe for rabbits, and as we mentioned guava leaves contain multiple essential compounds for rabbit’s health. Today in the morning we have a couple of guava leaves to our rabbits Cleo and Dot to see their reaction, and the result was surprising.
We gave guava leaves to our rabbits as an experimental purpose, and before today, we never give them guava leaves. Although in our previous experiment, we gave them only guava to make sure they can rabbits eat guava or not.
The result was decent, and based on this result today morning we gave guavas leaves to our rabbits. In addition, our today’s experiment result is also satisfying, we saw our rabbits ate almost 75% of guava leaves.
In this article, we will explain our experiment from beginning to end, and here you will know all facts about rabbits and guava leaves. Here we will tell you the health benefits of guava leaves, and how much guava leaves you should give to your rabbits.
Also, by reading this article you will get an idea about how to serve guava leaves to rabbits. So, without saying any words let’s jump to the experiment of guava leaves and rabbits.
- Are Guava Leaves Safe For Rabbits?
- How Much Guava Leaves We Gave To Our Rabbits?
- How To Offer Guava Leaves As Rabbit Treats?
- Are There Any Health Benefits For Rabbits In Eating Guava Leaves?
- Safety Guidelines For Feeding Guava Leaves To Rabbits
- Frequently Asked Questions
Are Guava Leaves Safe For Rabbits?
Yes, guava leaves are totally safe for rabbits, and you can serve guava leaves to your rabbits often. But we don’t recommend serving guava leaves daily, you can give guava leaves to your rabbits twice a week.
Guava leaves are not just only safe for rabbits, guava leaves also contain multiple essential vitamins for rabbits such as vitamins A, B, C, and K. Even, guava leaves are a great source of vitamin C.
Not only vitamins, but your rabbits will also get minerals, antioxidants, and fibers from guava leaves. So, feeding guava leaves often to rabbits can be a great example of a balanced diet.
It’s not so hard to get guava leaves for rabbits owner, especially those who live in tropical areas and South, and Middle America. Also, nowadays guavas come with leaves, so you can collect guava leaves for your rabbits from there.
Depending on the species, the color of guava leaves can vary, but most of the time guava leaves can see in 2 main colors, light green and deep green.
How Much Guava Leaves We Gave To Our Rabbits?
We do have lots of pet rabbits, and from them, Cleo and Dot are our favorites. And they are adults and healthy, and that’s why most of the experiments are related to Cleo and Dot.
Today before their morning meal we gave 4 grams of guava leaves to our Cleo and Dot. We collected those guava leaves from our own trees to see if can rabbits eat guava tree leaves.
Yes, they ate 3 grams of them, which was 75% of the total. Don’t think that 3 grams are a little amount, because when we measure 4 grams hold 3 big leaves.
And if you consider leaves as their treat, 3 big leaves are enough. Anyway, first we collect these leaves from our guava trees and wash them to remove insects and dirt.
Then we remove every single drop of water by wiping it with a fresh cloth. Then measure and took 4 grams for our rabbits. If you also want to give guava leaves to your rabbits then took less than 5 grams for each rabbit.
But for the first time give them a little amount like 2 to 3 grams per rabbit. Although guava leaves are safe for rabbis, rabbits can’t consume large amounts of leaves at a time.
How To Offer Guava Leaves As Rabbit Treats?
Here, we describe how we offer guava leaves as a treat to our rabbits for the first time. We already mentioned that today’s morning was the first time when we served guava leaves to our rabbits, before that we never gave them guava leaves.
And you are reading this article means you also going to serve guava leaves for the first time. First of all, we took a couple of guava leaves from our trees. And before serving in front of them we washed and cleaned them.
Since we maintain a balanced diet for our rabbits, we gave guava leaves as a treat, not as a meal. Yes, note this point, guava leaves are safe but you can’t give guava leaves to your rabbits as their proper meal.
When we served guava leaves to them we saw they instantly start to eat, they didn’t smell. And we saw they were biting continuously, and their body movement was normal.
We didn’t notice any weird movements of them that we noticed when we served lemon leaves in front of them. Yes, some days ago we serve lemon leaves to our rabbits to see if they can rabbits eat lemon leaves or not. And in that time we noticed their weird movements.
But their today’s behavior was normal, but they took too much time to eat the leaves. Yes, compared to other days and foods, today they took more time, and it was almost 4 minutes.
And after 4 minutes, they stopped to eat, and then we remove the last leave that they left. Within 20 minutes we serve their regular foods, and then they ate them as they eat regular.
Then we measure the leave that they left and it was 1 gram. That means our rabbits eat 75% of the total guava leaves, and they left 25% of the total amount. And this experiment clearly proved that rabbits like to eat guava leaves, but it should be little in quantity.
Here is the live experiment of rabbits and guava leaves that we captured on our camera. If you want then you can watch this video, which will make everything clear to you.
If you are not interested to watch this video then it’s okay, here is the summary of the video.
|Rabbits Names||Food Items & Weight||Eat Or Not (Yes Or No)||Amount Of Eating||Amount Of Residual|
|Cleo & Dot||Guava (4 Grams)||Yes||(3 Grams) 75%||(1 Gram) 25%|
Are There Any Health Benefits For Rabbits In Eating Guava Leaves?
Can rabbits eat guava leaves or not, it’s now clear to you. And you already knew that guava leaves are safe and contain multiple healthy compounds for rabbits. Let’s see some health benefits of guava leaves for rabbits.
Guava leaves are a rich source of fiber, and fibers are essential to contain a healthy life for rabbits. Fibers help to prevent gastrointestinal issues in rabbits.
Guava leaves contain multiple antioxidants such as polyphenols and flavonoids. Additionally, these compounds help to protect cells from oxidative damage.
Guava leaves are considered nutritious for rabbits because they contain multiple vitamins and minerals. Especially, guava leaves are a rich source of Vitamin C.
These are the main health benefits of guava leaves to rabbits, without these there are some minor benefits also. So, if you look at these benefits then you can easily decide whether you feed guava leaves to your rabbits or not.
If you want to feed guava leaves to your rabbits, you have to make sure of the freshness and safety of the guava leaves. Below we will tell you how you can maintain safety guidelines for feeding guava leaves to rabbits.
Safety Guidelines For Feeding Guava Leaves To Rabbits
Not just for guava leaves, before feeding any type of food to your pets you have to make sure of their safety.
First of all, try to find out that the food is safe for your rabbits, and if they are safe then you should keep an eye on them (especially if the foods are leafy greens or leaves):
- Ensure the freshness and quality
- Wash perfectly
- Introduce gradually, start with a small amount
- Monitor for allergies or sensitivities
- Variety in moderation
- Organic and chemical-free
- Source and storage
- Veterinary consultation
If you can make sure that you are maintaining these safety then you don’t need to worry about their health.
Hope now it’s clear to you how often and how much guava leaves you should give to your rabbits. If this article is helpful to you then subscribe to our blogs and stay connected with us to see other new experiments.
In our next experiment, we will serve guava seeds to our rabbits, and in this blog, we will share the result. So if you are interested to hear can rabbits eat guava seeds or not, they stay connected with us.
If you have more questions about rabbits and their diet then ask us below in the comment box. You can also send us an email to get a quick answer from us.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can guava leaves be given to rabbits as a treat?
A: Yes, you can give a couple of fresh guava leaves to your rabbits as a treat. Because guava leaves are safe and nutritious and contain lots of essential compounds for rabbit’s health. So if you want you can give guava leaves to your rabbits as a treat, but don’t give guava leaves in a bulk amount.
Q: Do rabbits enjoy eating guava leaves?
A: According to our experiment rabbits enjoy eating guava leaves, because our rabbits ate almost 75% of total guava leaves and left only 25%. So we can say that rabbits enjoy eating guava leaves.
Q: Are guava leaves like mango leaves?
A: Guava leaves and mango leaves belong to the same plant family called “Myrtaceae”. But the taste of guava leaves and mango leaves are not exactly the same.
Q: Are all species of rabbits equally fond of guava leaves?
A: When it comes to foods, like humans, rabbits also have their own tastes and preference. So foods like guava leaves and other tastes can vary from rabbit to rabbit. And not every rabbit can feel good eating guava leaves. So we can say that not all species of rabbits are equally fond of guava leaves.
Useful Link: Benefits of Guava Leaves
- Best Bedding for Indoor Rabbit Cage (Updated for 2024) - December 2, 2023
- Best Bedding for Rabbits In Winter (Updated for 2024) - November 29, 2023
- Best Brush for Angora Rabbit (Updated for 2024) - November 29, 2023